Sunday, July 8, 2012

Grilled Spaghetti Squash

I love grilling.  There is something about the taste of food from the grill that appeals to me. Just because I don't eat meat doesn't mean that I can't still enjoy some great grilled foods. 

About a month ago I was at the local health food store and bought an organic spaghetti squash because I knew Brennis loves the spaghetti squash my mom makes at Thanksgiving.  I had probably prepared spaghetti squash years ago with lots of butter and salt but as I regarded this large yellow rock in my basket at The Raisin Rack I really had no idea what I was going to do with it.

It was a beautiful day so I thought I would grill it.  I'll never make it any other way.

This one is so easy anyone can do it.

First I heated the grill (I used a gas grill and warmed it up to about 400 degrees.....you can use a charcoal grill and grill this at any temperature but cooking times will be different)

I halved the squash lengthwise and removed all of the seeds.  The first time I grilled this I brushed the surface with olive oil but for today's squash I just left it alone and I didn't notice any difference in the taste.
Place the squash face down on the top rack of the grill (if you have one...if not just keep a close eye that it doesn't cook too fast on the surface)

Cover the grill and check it after about a half hour and then about every ten minutes afterward to see if it's done.  The squash is done when you can easily puncture the outside skin with a fork (the fork will go in like you were poking the soft skin of a peach)
My squash took about 40 minutes.

When it's done it should look something like this.
Remove the squash from the grill and allow it to cool enough to be able to handle it.
With a fork, scoop out the inside of the squash (it will come out easily in long strands like spaghetti). 
I eat it as a side dish with a bit of black pepper on top but it's also great as a main dish with your favorite tomato sauce.
This is extremely healthy and doesn't take a lot of effort.  I was grilling zucchini and eggplant at the same time that the squash was cooking so the whole grill was filled with vegetables that I was using in recipes for the week so I wasn't wasting any propane just for one squash.
Try it before Summer's over! 


No comments:

Post a Comment