Thursday, May 10, 2012

Cranberry Nut Bread

Cranberry Nut Bread



I am always trying to make some of my favorite packaged foods at home without the added sugar, salt and preservatives. Last week I tried to dry cranberries so I didn't have to have all of the added sugar. It didn't work. So....I used them for this recipe.

I took an 8 ounce package of cranberries, placed them in a pot of boiling water, turned the heat off and stirred the cranberries until the skins had all broken (about two minutes). I went the extra step of trying to "dry" the cranberries in the oven overnight but it just didn't work....so I just popped them in the fridge until I figured out what to do with them and then...VOILA! Cranberry Nut Bread. You can blanch the cranberries in boiling water like I did or you can just chop whole cranberries and use them that way. I must say that breaking the cranberries down a bit it made a lovely pink batter which I really like and the cranberry taste is spread throughout the bread....but do what you want....you will anyway.

1 1/2 Cup Unbleached Four
1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Cup Cranberries (see above)
1 Egg
1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
2 Tbsp Apple Sauce
3/4 Cup Orange Juice
1Tbsp Orange Zest

Combine Flours, Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda. Add Cranberries, Egg, Applesauce & Orange Juice and mix until you have a moist batter. Fold in Walnuts and Orange Zest at the end.

Bake at 350 in a 4' x 8" loaf pan for about 50 to 55 minutes.

Cool for ten minutes before removing from pan!
Eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment