Saturday, May 19, 2012

Low Fat Banana Strawberry Bread

Low Fat Banana Strawberry Bread




I love sweets so it's just natural that my first recipe would be for something sweet. I tend to make quick breads a lot. I can easily incorporate whole wheat flour and make substitutions without it changing the taste or texture of the bread too much. You'll find I use mostly whole, natural foods in my recipes. I try not to use white sugar much but with this recipe I made an exception because it just tasted better. So while by no means health food this bread will satisfy your sweet tooth without a lot of guilt.

1 Cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 Cup White Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
2 Egg Whites
3 Ripe Bananas, Mashed
1/4 Cup Applesauce
1 Cup chopped Strawberries (I leave them pretty chunky.....cut small strawberries in half and larger strawberries in quarters.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Lightly grease a 4" x 8" loaf pan.

Combine Flours, Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda & Cinnamon in a larg bowl
In a small bowl combine the lightly beat egg whites. Combine mashed banana, strawberries and applesauce and add egg whites and fruit mixture to dry ingredients until well incorporated.

Pour batter into pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Let the bread rest in the pan for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

You'll find the texture of this quick bread is different because of using the egg whites but it's delicious and the taste of fruit is very refreshing!

No comments:

Post a Comment